For printable PDF, click here.
- Understand Who God Is
- Understand Who Man Is [you are here]
- Understand What Christ Has Done
- Understand How to Respond to the Good News
Understand Who Man Is
Soon after God created Adam and Eve (the first man and woman), they willfully chose to rebel against God, and sin entered the human race.
- Every person thereafter has inherited that sinful nature and has continued to rebel against our Creator.
- The result of sin is that we have failed to reflect God’s glory and our relationship with Him is broken.
In order to dwell in His holy presence, God does not require that we merely do our best to live good lives; he requires us to reflect His perfection (Lev. 19:2)
- God does not judge us based on how we compare to our fellow human beings, but on how we compare to Him.
- Clearly all of us fall short of His perfect standard; we have all broken God’s laws (Rom. 3:10-18, 23; Gal. 3:10)
- We are all sinners both by nature (because we have inherited our sinful natures from Adam and Eve) and by choice (because we all willfully choose to disobey God) (Rom. 5:12; 1 John 1:8)
- Even our good deeds are imperfect and polluted with sin (Isa. 64:6)
Because God is perfect in Holiness, He cannot tolerate the presence of sin.
- Our sins have separated us from our Creator (Isa. 59:2)
- Because sin separates us from God, it carries tragic consequences (Rom. 6:23)
- One day, we will all stand before God to give an account for our deeds (Heb. 9:27)
At the final judgment, God will separate the sinners from the righteous.
- The righteous will enter into eternal life in heaven to dwell with God.
- Sinners will be sent away from the presence of God into a place of eternal punishment called hell (Matt. 25:46)